sane defaults (security icons)

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sun Jan 16 22:58:14 GMT 2005

On Sunday 16 January 2005 17:43, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >   Yes green makes more sense, but then you still have:
> > a) conflict with the colour scheme
> > b) the task of explaining to users who have known "secure" to be
> > yellow for the past ~12 years that green now means "secure".
>
> Those users being who?

  Anyone who used Netscape Navigator => The vast majority of Internet users
have done so, at least those who aren't new to the Internet.

> For users who already associate a certain color with "secure" the change
> from yellow to green will be no problem ("Ahh, Konqueror uses green
> instead of yellow. Interesting."). After all they also changed their
> browser and will expect that some things are different.

   I don't think this is true at all.  I see no reason why people should
suddenly associate a green location bar with meaning that the connection is
secure when their previous browser, at best, turned portions of the browser
yellow for a secure connection.  All in all I was moving Konqueror to the IE
design for KDE 4 (the statusbar).   I don't like the idea of relying on the
location bar in any case, and consider it to be secondary.

> For users who do not already associate a certain color with "secure"
> green does indeed make more sense IMO.

   I didn't argue that.

--
George Staikos