sane defaults (security icons)

Jakub Stachowski stachowski at hypair.net
Sun Jan 16 22:49:47 GMT 2005

Dnia niedziela, 16 stycznia 2005 23:32, George Staikos napisaƂ:

> > > The coloring alone means nothing. No user (who hasn't been told) will
> > > understand why the location bar is sometimes white and sometimes
> > > yellow.
> >
> > By the way, why is it yellow? In my opinion it is green that it usually
> > perceived as 'safe' . Also it is inconsistent with Kontact and kgpg where
> > secure certificate is signalled with green color (yellow means 'unable to
> > check' there). This kind of inconsistency completely defeats value of
> > color code as user has to remember  (and probably check in manual to be
> > sure) what yellow means in one application and what in another.
>
>   Yes green makes more sense, but then you still have:
> a) conflict with the colour scheme

To hell with all this coloured urlbar if it can't be fixed then.

> b) the task of explaining to users who have known "secure" to be yellow for
> the past ~12 years that green now means "secure".

In what part of the world yellow means secure? When i think about safety color
codes, street lights immediately come to mind. And yellow definitely is not
'safe' color there. Exactly as in other KDE apps that deal with certificates.
Where could those users learned about yellow being secure anyway?

Honestly, when i first seen this yellow urlbar after connecting to my server i
thought that certificate expired or something like that.