sane defaults (security icons)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jan 16 22:43:20 GMT 2005

On Sunday 16 January 2005 23:32, George Staikos wrote:

> > > The coloring alone means nothing. No user (who hasn't been told)
> > > will understand why the location bar is sometimes white and
> > > sometimes yellow.
> >
> > By the way, why is it yellow? In my opinion it is green that it
> > usually perceived as 'safe' . Also it is inconsistent with Kontact
> > and kgpg where secure certificate is signalled with green color
> > (yellow means 'unable to check' there). This kind of inconsistency
> > completely defeats value of color code as user has to remember
> > (and probably check in manual to be sure) what yellow means in one
> > application and what in another.
>
>   Yes green makes more sense, but then you still have:
> a) conflict with the colour scheme
> b) the task of explaining to users who have known "secure" to be
> yellow for the past ~12 years that green now means "secure".

Those users being who?

For users who already associate a certain color with "secure" the change
from yellow to green will be no problem ("Ahh, Konqueror uses green
instead of yellow. Interesting."). After all they also changed their
browser and will expect that some things are different.

For users who do not already associate a certain color with "secure"
green does indeed make more sense IMO.

Regards,
Ingo