accessibility misfeatures

Peter Rockai (mornfall) mornfall at kalyxo.org
Mon Jan 10 19:03:20 GMT 2005

On Sunday 09 January 2005 18:21, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Samstag 08 Januar 2005 16:02 schrieb Gunnar Schmi Dt:
[snip]
> > Those who need some of the AccessX features do not necessarily know the
> > way of starting the KDE Control Center, choosing the
> > Regional&Accessibility/Accessibility tab and finding the features there.
> > Even if they know that way it might be hard for them to do that because
> > they need these features in order to do that.
> >
> > On the other hand those who do not need these features are can deactivate
> > it without problems.
>
> If you follow that logic we would use accessibility themes and color
> schemes by default. We don't do that because we acknowledge that the people
> needing accessibility features are a minority. And this slow key feature
> _is_ confusing. And I don't find it user friendly to have to shut off
> everything some developer found useful for those that can't turn it off.
> KPersonalizer is the tool to enable accessibility features - it really
> shouldn't be default.
Agreed. Also, following the above logic, they probably also installed their
computer, so they can also probably enable what they need (either in
kpersonalizer, which sounds as a good idea, or in kcontrol). If someone else
installed the computer for them, then she can probably configure it so they
can also use it. I swear every time i sit at a windows box at the obnoxious
popup. If i'm holding a shift trying to invent a sentence, last thing i need
is a beeping popup that distracts me from thinking.

Yours,
    Peter.
--
Peter Rockai (mornfall)  |  mornfall()kalyxo!org  |  http://www.kalyxo.org
He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.