Two weeks later: KDE 3.4 Control Center UI Review

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Feb 26 22:03:43 GMT 2005

On Saturday 26 February 2005 22:08, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:
> On Saturday 26 February 2005 11:54 am, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> | Background
> | - Still too wide.
>
> This patch worksforme.

Great, thanks!

> With a fresh $KDEHOME and using 72x72 dpi, the kcontrol window is 800x600.

Yes.

> On my normal 100x100dpi screen without a $KDEHOME/share/config/kcontrolrc,
> the kcontrol window is 968x712.  Due to fonts?

On higher dpi we use a larger initial size to correct for larger fonts.

> A minor nitpick:  When changing to a 'left-handed' mouse and applying it, a
> message box pops up with "You have to restart KDE for these to take
> effect". This is not the case for swapping the mouse-hands.

That warning is only supposed to happen when you make a change in the "Cursor
Theme" tab. Perhaps it incorrectly thought that something had changed there.
I don't get such warning here (but I don't have a clean install here)

> Another oddity is that on my 72x72dpi KDE, most of the backgrounds in the
> Background->Picture list don't work.  There is no preview and if I press
> Apply, I get a grayish-color background.  They all work on my 100x100dpi
> system.  For example: Alien NIght, All good people and ancient Gylph don't
> work, but Andres V. does.

In think your KDE version on your 72dpi system is missing jpeg support.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download