Two weeks later: KDE 3.4 Control Center UI Review

Kurt V. Hindenburg kurt.hindenburg at kdemail.net
Sat Feb 26 22:29:23 GMT 2005

On Saturday 26 February 2005 05:03 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
| > Another oddity is that on my 72x72dpi KDE, most of the backgrounds in the
| > Background->Picture list don't work.  There is no preview and if I press
| > Apply, I get a grayish-color background.  They all work on my 100x100dpi
| > system.  For example: Alien NIght, All good people and ancient Gylph
| > don't work, but Andres V. does.
|
| In think your KDE version on your 72dpi system is missing jpeg support.

Actually they are both on the same computer/OS and use the same KDEDIR, I just
start X11 differently.
The 100dpi is started via xdm/kdm (user #1).  The 72dpi is started via startx
-- -dpi 72 (user #2)(with startkde in .xinitrc).

There should be no other differences...  perhaps I'm missing something else.

In the 72dpi user:
% kcmshell background
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-snapshots/ksycoca
kutils (KCMultiDialog): KCMultiDialog::addModule Background
kutils (KCModuleProxy): [void KCModuleProxy::init(const KCModuleInfo&)]
kutils (KCMultiDialog): [void KCMultiDialog::slotAboutToShow(QWidget*)]
kutils (KCModuleProxy): [KCModule* KCModuleProxy::realModule() const]
kutils (KCModuleProxy): Module not already loaded, loading module
kio (KTrader): query for KFilePlugin, KFilePlugin : returning 0 offers
kio (KTrader): query for image/jpeg, KFilePlugin : returning 1 offers
KFileMetainfo (plugins): jpeg plugin

KFileMetainfo (plugins): exif inserting Comment: Alien Night
KFileMetaInfo: KFileMetaInfogroup inserting a Comment
KFileMetaInfo: KFileMetaInfogroup inserting a Dimensions
KFileMetaInfo: KFileMetaInfogroup inserting a ColorMode
KFileMetaInfo: KFileMetaInfogroup inserting a Flash used
KFileMetaInfo: KFileMetaInfogroup inserting a JPEG process
kutils (KCMultiDialog): [void KCMultiDialog::clientChanged(bool)] true

Alien Night is one of the pictures that doesn't work.  It appears jpeg is
enabled.

  Regards,
    Kurt