kcmfontinst does no longer work

Craig Drummond craig at kde.org
Wed Feb 23 20:56:52 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 17:05, Martin Koller wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 16:47, Craig Drummond wrote:
> > Font config needs to be told of the folders containing your fonts. What
> > does fc-clist show? When you upgraded, did you install an rpm or custom
> > compile?
>
> self compiled.

And you set the /etc dir of fontconfig to be "/etc" ? not /usr/local/etc? Only
asking, as I recall compiling fontconfig a while back and it defaulted
to /usr/local/etc for some reason...

> > Where does your fontconfig look for its config files? Standard
> > fontconfig uses /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and /etc/fonts/local.conf
>
> In this standard.

Uh?

> Previously I had other fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts, but this seems to
> be not a default directory (according to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf) ...
> Hmmm.... but it is listed in local.conf

Does your /etc/font/fonts.conf have the following line:

<include ignore_missing="yes">local.conf</include>

?? This tells fontconfig to also look at local.conf - which is where user
changes should be made.

> Still, I have moved /usr/local/share/fonts to /usr/share/fonts and now the

hmmm... well kfontinst *will* install fonts to /usr/local/share/fonts (as this
is per the FHS). When adding the fonts there, if /usr/local/share/fonts is
not listd in local.conf, then the it will be added. But /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
is not altered.

> fonts are listed - strange.
> Beside that I now see the old fonts, my KDE applications don't look as
> before. Well, seems not a KDE related problem.

This'd be a fontconfig issue then... Probably a difference between fontconfig
1.x and 2.x

> > No. The new kcm/io-slave does not allow the creation of sub-folders, and
> > only lists fontconfig fonts. This allows fonts to be grouped. i.e.
> > instead of about 50 fonts for the bitmap Helvetica at different point
> > sizes, and encodings - only 1 Helvetica would be listed.
>
> Ah yes, I see. This really seems to be an improvement.

Thanks! :-)