kcmfontinst does no longer work

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Wed Feb 23 17:05:20 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 16:47, Craig Drummond wrote:

> Font config needs to be told of the folders containing your fonts. What
> does fc-clist show? When you upgraded, did you install an rpm or custom
> compile?

self compiled.

> Where does your fontconfig look for its config files? Standard
> fontconfig uses /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and /etc/fonts/local.conf

In this standard.
Previously I had other fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts, but this seems to be
not a default directory (according to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf) ...
Hmmm.... but it is listed in local.conf
Still, I have moved /usr/local/share/fonts to /usr/share/fonts and now the
fonts are listed - strange.
Beside that I now see the old fonts, my KDE applications don't look as before.
Well, seems not a KDE related problem.

> No. The new kcm/io-slave does not allow the creation of sub-folders, and
> only lists fontconfig fonts. This allows fonts to be grouped. i.e. instead
> of about 50 fonts for the bitmap Helvetica at different point sizes, and
> encodings - only 1 Helvetica would be listed.

Ah yes, I see. This really seems to be an improvement.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

       Some operating systems are called 'user friendly',
             Linux however is 'expert friendly'.