kcmfontinst does no longer work

Craig Drummond craig at kde.org
Wed Feb 23 15:47:15 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 09:04, Martin Koller wrote:
> On Monday 21 February 2005 23:31, Craig Drummond wrote:
> > > Can I upgrade only fontconfig (without all the rest of X11) ?
> >
> > Should be able to. The only part of X that uses fontconfig is Xft. (I
> > personally think that all X fonts should be found via fontconfig)
>
> OK, I now upgraded to the current fontconfig, and now I have other
> problems :-(
>
> Mainly, the system does not recognize all the fonts I had previously
> installed.

Font config needs to be told of the folders containing your fonts. What does
fc-clist show? When you upgraded, did you install an rpm or custom compile?
Where does your fontconfig look for its config files? Standard fontconfig
uses /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and /etc/fonts/local.conf

(KFontinst hard codes the system config file to /etc/fonts/local.conf - this
should probably be changed to ask fontconfig where it is...)

> If I remember correctly, with a previous version of KDE I could define a
> lot of subdirectories in which my fonts are installed.
> Is this no longer possible ?

No. The new kcm/io-slave does not allow the creation of sub-folders, and only
lists fontconfig fonts. This allows fonts to be grouped. i.e. instead of
about 50 fonts for the bitmap Helvetica at different point sizes, and
encodings - only 1 Helvetica would be listed.

> I don't see a possibility in the KCM...
>
> (Wasn't there also a tree-view in this KCM instead of a flat list?)

Yup - but this has been removed.

> Hope you can bring light into my darkness ;-)

Well I hope the above helps at least a little...

Craig.