Sane default font

Richard Smith kde at metafoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 20 13:18:17 GMT 2005

Hi,

On Sunday 20 February 2005 12:49, Martin Koller wrote:
> I was checking how KDE 3.4 presents itself for a new user, and one point
> which gives no good impression is the default size of the font, which is 12
> points.
[...]
> Here are 2 links to show you how the control center does look like if
> started for the very first time with all defaults:
>
> http://members.aon.at/m.koller/kcontrol.png
> http://members.aon.at/m.koller/kcontrol-background.png
>
> Is it really necessary to have such a huge font by default ?

Screenshots are useless for showing how big things appear on your screen...

12 points is, by definition, a sixth of an inch, or about 0.42 cm. Does the
font appear taller than that on your screen? If so, you have some
font-related bug. In any case, 0.42 cm is not really huge. I do agree that
10pt (about 0.35 cm) looks nicer, though, and a lot of official letters are
printed in 8pt, but I'm not in a position to say what's best for new KDE
users.

On Sunday 20 February 2005 13:06, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > My X Server is correctly set up with
> >   dimensions:    1400x1050 pixels (307x232 millimeters)
> >   resolution:    116x115 dots per inch

> This should usually be set to approx. 75x75 dpi and explains the problem
> you're having.

That's not true. It should be set to the correct number of dots per inch for
your screen. In the case of a 1400x1050 px screen, which is 12.08 inches wide
and 9.13 inches high, the resolution should be about 116x116 dpi.
--
Thanks,
Richard