subversion

Kevin Puetz puetzk at puetzk.org
Sat Feb 19 00:15:38 GMT 2005

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Stanislav Karchebny wrote:
>>Did anyone consider SVK*?
>>
>>*) http://svk.elixus.org/
>
> If I understand SVK correctly, the point is moot. SVK uses Subversion
> servers. It changes only the client-side of the equation -- replacing the
> client tool (svn with svk) and the extracted copy module (WC with XD).

svk replaces the text-base that svn keeps in the working copy with a
(partial) repository mirror, stored elsewhere. If you have lots of
checkouts, svk is thus cheaper on disk space, as it keeps only one local
copy of the pristine base. If you have only one checkout, it's about the
same (if you don't initially mirror any history), with the cost growing
over time as you accumulate history (unless you nuke it and start over). If
you mirror all the history, it's lots more expensive - you have a local
repository mirror.

> So, you can choose to use svk in your KDE checkouts. It'll even save you
> on disk space, because of XD.

It won't save disk space for very many people :-)

Some of the advanced features depend on the availability of a local
repository though, which is why svk is built this way.