KDE 3.4 Control Center UI Review

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Feb 13 23:15:33 GMT 2005

On Sunday 13 February 2005 23:45, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Sunday 13 February 2005 23:09, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > how did you get these numbers ?
>
> Manually resizing till everything is on the screen / the scrollbar
> disappears and then checking with xwininfo how large the window is.
>
> > Probably I have different font settings, cause with my setup local
> > network browsing works with  Width: 726,  Height: 519, samba info
> > with  Width: 791, Height: 523.
>
> I use helvetica 12 for all relevant fonts, which corresponds to the
> defaults. Unlike the defaults, I also use 12 for taskbar and toolbar,
> but that shouldn't matter.
>
> xdpyinfo says:
>  resolution:    90x96 dots per inch

This value is much too high. On a 14" monitor the resolution for 800x600
is about 72x72 pixels per inch and on a 15" monitor it's only about
67x67 pixels per inch. You get a resolution of 90x90 pixels per inch if
you display 800x600 on an 11" monitor. I doubt that we want to optimize
KDE for such small monitors. So the font you used for your test was way
to large (in pixel). For a user with a 14" monitor the 12 point font
would be 20% (= 1 - 72/90) smaller and thus all configuration dialogs
would also be smaller (I guess about 10%).

Regards,
Ingo