KDE 3.4 Control Center UI Review

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sun Feb 13 23:39:23 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 00:15, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > I use helvetica 12 for all relevant fonts, which corresponds to the
> > defaults. Unlike the defaults, I also use 12 for taskbar and toolbar,
> > but that shouldn't matter.
> >
> > xdpyinfo says:
> >  resolution:    90x96 dots per inch
>
> This value is much too high. On a 14" monitor the resolution for 800x600
> is about 72x72 pixels per inch and on a 15" monitor it's only about
> 67x67 pixels per inch. You get a resolution of 90x90 pixels per inch if
> you display 800x600 on an 11" monitor. I doubt that we want to optimize
> KDE for such small monitors. So the font you used for your test was way
> to large (in pixel). For a user with a 14" monitor the 12 point font
> would be 20% (= 1 - 72/90) smaller and thus all configuration dialogs
> would also be smaller (I guess about 10%).

Fair enough, so we should then adopt "800x600 with 12pt font at 72dpi" as our
minimum supported configuration.

And I guess for developers we could say that the control center should show a
module correctly when the control center is 800x600 while using 10pt font at
96dpi.

This implies that the the control center should use a bigger default size at
96dpi, because our default font is 12pt. Let's say 10% bigger, so we would
get a default size of 880x660.

With this rule, 12 out of the 49 would now fit, but the remaining 37 still
need adjustment.

So I suggest we start addressing the most grave cases of those 37 and then
retest at 12pt/72dpi

Cheers,
Waldo
--