KDE 3.4 Control Center UI Review

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sun Feb 13 22:45:00 GMT 2005

On Sunday 13 February 2005 23:09, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how did you get these numbers ?

Manually resizing till everything is on the screen / the scrollbar disappears
and then checking with xwininfo how large the window is.

> Probably I have different font settings, cause with my setup local network
> browsing works with  Width: 726,  Height: 519, samba info with  Width: 791,
> Height: 523.

I use helvetica 12 for all relevant fonts, which corresponds to the defaults.
Unlike the defaults, I also use 12 for taskbar and toolbar, but that shouldn't
matter.

xdpyinfo says:
	resolution:    90x96 dots per inch

> On Sunday 13 February 2005 18:31, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Local Network Browsing
> > - Slightly too short, needs 610, VSIZE
>
> This one is probably lan service config page. I planned working on this
> already for some time, but never got around to do it.

Yes, the horizontal scrollbar just makes it too large. Is there some extra
space under "Default LISA Server host?" This is only a few pixels though...

> > - needs 939, HSIZE
>
> This must be the three buttons at the bottom ("Guided lisa setup...",
> "suggest settings" and "advanced settings").

Yes. Maybe "Advanced Settings" can move up and to the left, directly under
"Trusted IP addresses".

> > Samba
> > - needs 1234!!!, HSIZE
> > - needs 752, VSIZE
> > - split out advanced tab to separate dialog window?
>
> Probably.
>
> Fixing these problems will probably involve string changes...
> Can I change it anyway ?

I don't think you need string changes... you need some text on the "advanced"
button, but you may be able to reuse the text from the tab. If you want to
change it to "Advanced Settings" like in the network tab you should ask on
kde-i18n-doc if that's ok.

Cheers,
Waldo
--