Factoring out standard system information

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 30 23:25:29 GMT 2005

On Thursday 29 December 2005 19:00, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> How does that square with SK's merger into plasma? The system resource
> reading is some of the most popular stuff in SK.

the idea at this point is to offer the concept of a data engine within the
plasma framework. then different domains (system information, presence,
calendar info, etc..) will have an engine provided for it. this provides a
standard discovery, loading, initialization (if any is required) and to some
extent usage methodology for the problem of "get information of type X in a
timely manner".

the rational is that an applet may need hotplug info and should therefore be
able to request that functionality; or it may want IM presence information;
etc... applet development should focus on presentation, with information
discovery being implemented once and shared. as you note, making it easy to
access this information is a popular feature in SK, so we are building on
that concept to provide a more generic mechanism for this sort of thing.

--
Aaron J. Seigo