Custom URI schemes & KDE

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Fri Dec 30 15:13:40 GMT 2005

Hi all,

Some KDE applications needs custom URI schemes. One such is KMyMoney, as
discussed kde-devel some time ago. Gentle Internet citizen as we are we cannot
simply make up schemes because of the interoperability problems it would lead
to; writing an RFC is too hefty, and the alternative remaining, to make a
long story short, is to use the tag scheme.

I quote from the attached document:

<quote>
The tag scheme combines a host name with a date to create a unique URI
scheme(the date makes the URI immune to change in ownership of the domain
name). KDE applications can use the tag scheme with the kde.org domain by
following a slightly constrained syntax of the tag scheme: tag:kde.org,2004:
[application name]:[application specific string]. For example:
tag:kde.org,2004:KMyApplication:MyKApplicationData. The application name
ensures that a URI does not clash with another KDE application.
</quote>

I suggest what the quote says: that KDE applications can use the tag scheme
with the kde.org domain. In other words, attached is a document, similar to
the binary compatibility document on developer.kde.org, which is intended to
ensure URIs concerning kde.org are somewhat organized and consistent. Comments
& suggestions are appreciated. (source is Docbook, attached is XHTML
rendering)

Indeed, a year ago a similar guidelines idea was suggested but was met with
distaste. What I want to achieve is 1) to give KDE applications a convenient
alternative such that rogue URI schemes aren't invented; and 2) Organize
custom URI schemes such that they are consistent(pretty) and doesn't clash.
Anyway which can achieve that would solve the problems I try to solve with
this document.

Cheers,

		Frans