platform independent kdeinit/klauncher (was KDE4's IPC)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Dec 28 11:08:36 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 10:11, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> Especially for HTTP we are supposed to have a cache, so *nothing*
> should be get two times.

?? This has nothing to do with the cache. The cache is only once you have fully
downloaded something. But here we're talking about the very beginning of the
download; you don't want to wait for minicli to download the whole thing before
firing up the application [which might not even use the cache then, depending
on the refresh headers and the cache policy etc.]

> Also this is uncoooperative. You make pay the download twice by
> the one that is downloading and by the one that offers the server service. (If
> not by real money, then at least with bandwidth, which is not unlimited
> either.)

Well, this is why KDE by default attempts to avoid that, you don't need to
preach to the choir. But I suspect that on Windows / MacOSX it's more about
running standalone apps, so this use case of passing an ioslave from an
app to another is certainly less real on those systems. Well the case of
konqueror remains though (e.g. embedding PDF part from a link on a web page).