platform independent kdeinit/klauncher (was KDE4's IPC)

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Wed Dec 28 09:11:06 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 14:16, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >kioslaves must be started by an external process (klauncher) so that
> > they can be passed from a process to another. E.g. when you type a http
> > address in minicli, minicli starts a GET, puts it on hold once it knows
> > the mimetype, and then launches the associated application - which
> > could be konqueror, or an image viewer, or a text editor, etc. - and
> > that application resumes the downloading (by requesting to kio the same
> > URL again). The goal is to
> >1) not use HTTP HEAD to get the mimetype, since it's broken on many
> > servers 2) not do a HTTP GET twice because we are looking at the URL
> > from two processes.
> >
> >This is why kioslaves must be launched by a separate process, and not
> >just by forking from the app. KDE_FORK_IOSLAVES breaks the above
> > scenario.
>
> Yes, that's exactly the kind of scenario I proposed to break by forking
> ioslaves.
>

> Depending on the advantages of doing so (Win32, SELinux, who knows), it
> might be preferrable to have two GETs.

I disagree.

Especially for HTTP we are supposed to have a cache, so *nothing*
should be get two times.

Also this is uncoooperative. You make pay the download twice by
the one that is downloading and by the one that offers the server service. (If
not by real money, then at least with bandwidth, which is not unlimited
either.)

> I'm not saying we should do it by default. I'm saying it could be an
> option for some people.

Have a nice day!