platform independent kdeinit/klauncher (was KDE4's IPC)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Dec 27 13:16:12 GMT 2005

David Faure wrote:
>kioslaves must be started by an external process (klauncher) so that
> they can be passed from a process to another. E.g. when you type a http
> address in minicli, minicli starts a GET, puts it on hold once it knows
> the mimetype, and then launches the associated application - which
> could be konqueror, or an image viewer, or a text editor, etc. - and
> that application resumes the downloading (by requesting to kio the same
> URL again). The goal is to
>1) not use HTTP HEAD to get the mimetype, since it's broken on many
> servers 2) not do a HTTP GET twice because we are looking at the URL
> from two processes.
>
>This is why kioslaves must be launched by a separate process, and not
>just by forking from the app. KDE_FORK_IOSLAVES breaks the above
> scenario.

Yes, that's exactly the kind of scenario I proposed to break by forking
ioslaves.

Depending on the advantages of doing so (Win32, SELinux, who knows), it
might be preferrable to have two GETs.

I'm not saying we should do it by default. I'm saying it could be an
option for some people.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.