gcc flags for developers

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Fri Dec 9 17:39:48 GMT 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 13:08, David Faure wrote:

> Yes, so let's fix the configuration flags first, and then we can fix
> kdesvn-build accordingly.

I don't see how fixing the configuration flags has anything to do with -march
switches in kdesvn-build. Also, it exports stuff like -Wl,O1 which is not a
great idea with unpatched binutils (makes things slower for KDE due to a
bug). But I guess -Wl,O1 perfectly goes in-line with the -O0 -g3 -g ;)

> To update my proposal:
> --enable-debug              would now set -O2 -g -fno-reorder-blocks
> -fno-schedule-insns -fno-inline --enable-debug=full      would still set
> -O0 -g3 for the worse case of a hard-to-debug problem (e.g. macros etc.),

Well, we need a distributor compliant flag as well, because distributors want
DWARF2 debug info but no speed penality (debug information is stripped from
the files and packaged into -debuginfo subpackages). Therefore changing
--enable-debug to -fno-inline -fno-reorder-blocks has a serious performance
penality.

--
Dirk//\