KDE 3.5.1 and 3.6

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Dec 3 02:10:52 GMT 2005

Gary Cramblitt wrote:
>What is the state of "freeze" on branches/KDE right now?

All of the branches on branches/KDE are frozen for good. That means no new
features and no new user-visible messages, but bug fixes (including
usability and accessibility ones) are allowed.

>There are a number of changes I'd like to make in kdeaccessibility/kttsd
> and I'd rather not wait 1 to 2 years to make them publicly available.

>There are also a number of accessibility changes that ought to be made
> in kdelibs.  See the KOffice Accessibility Assessment here for details:
>
>http://accessibility.kde.org/reports/
>
>Is there going to be a 3.6 release and can I begin working on them in
>branches/KDE?

No KDE 3.6 release is planned.

>I suppose the answer comes down to: is anyone willing (and able) to be
> the release coordinator for a 3.6 release.

What we will do is have 3.5.x releases. That's for certain.

If, on the other hand, you introduce important changes to 3.5 that require
a break from message- and/or feature-freeze, we could have a special
release. We should target it for sometime around 6-9 months from now.

I wouldn't call it 3.6 because many applications have started moving off
to KDE4 and Qt4 codebases and development has stopped on the KDE3 code.
It wouldn't be a full KDE release.

There are, however, applications that would benefit from another release
(Kopete 0.12 comes to mind, khtml and the PIM suite would probably go as
well). They could do releases of their own, though.

So, in the end, I think it's a wait-and-see.

> (Stephan, I know you'd
> rather everyone work on KDE 4, but its a long way off.)

The more people we have on it, the sooner it'll be. If we divert our
efforts into KDE 3.6, it'll be longer.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

3. Ac seo woruld wearð geborod, swá se Scieppend cwæð "Gewurde Unix" and
wundor fremede and him "Unix" genemned, þæt is se rihtendgesamnung.