Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Mon Aug 29 19:11:47 BST 2005

On Sunday 28 August 2005 10:44, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On 8/27/05, Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg at snafu.de> wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 August 2005 10:45, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > Below is an idea that is not entirely my own..
>
> [snip]
>
> > > KDE Frameworks
>
> [snip]
>
> > > -KIO
> >
> > Does KIO also include the KIO slaves?
>
> Nope, that actual ioslaves would go into base (or whever they best fit
> such as multimedia like we have today).  The interfaces and base
> classes would go in framework.

That is what I have feared.

So under GNOME, MS Windows or other environments, we would have no KIO slaves,
for example: zip: tar: ftp: fish: sftp:

But then what makes KDE to be KDE, if the KDE programs have no remote KIO
features anymore. (And I wonder how KMail would work, without smtp, pop3 and
imap.)

(...)

Have a nice day!