Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

Benjamin Meyer icefox at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 09:44:02 BST 2005

On 8/27/05, Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg at snafu.de> wrote:
> On Saturday 27 August 2005 10:45, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > Below is an idea that is not entirely my own..
[snip]
> > KDE Frameworks
[snip]
> > -KIO
>
> Does KIO also include the KIO slaves?

Nope, that actual ioslaves would go into base (or whever they best fit
such as multimedia like we have today).  The interfaces and base
classes would go in framework.

> > -KDEPrint
>
> This would remove the "print to PDF" functionality for an KDE application
> running outside KDE.

/me renames -KDEPrint to -KDEPrintDialog :)

> > -KWrite
>
> You are talking about KWrite but not about Kate. Where do you plan to put
> Kate's library?

The basic editor part whatever that might be that is used in many kde apps.

> > How it would look in svn:
> > kdelibs/kde3support/
> > kdelibs/kdecomponents/
> > kdelibs/kdeframework/
> >
> > kdeworkspace/
> >
> > kdebase/
> >

> > Even though componants, compat and framework are seperate packages
> > they could be in kdelibs.  So end the end we would only be making one
> > new module.
>
> If there is an effort of making a split then please show it as separate
> modules too, otherwise it is nearly useless to make this discussion. (Also
> the kdelibs module is already big enough.)

Another bonus of that would be that eventually you wouldn't need to
check out kde3compat :)

-Benjamin Meyer