Redefining kdelibs and kdebase

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Aug 28 09:56:12 BST 2005

On Saturday 27 August 2005 21:44, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > How it would look in svn:
> > kdelibs/kde3support/
> > kdelibs/kdecomponents/
> > kdelibs/kdeframework/
> >
> > kdeworkspace/
> >
> > kdebase/
> >

> > Even though componants, compat and framework are seperate packages
> > they could be in kdelibs.  So end the end we would only be making one
> > new module.
>
> If there is an effort of making a split then please show it as separate
> modules too, otherwise it is nearly useless to make this discussion.

I am the one who suggested subdirs in kdelibs instead of three new modules.
The reason is that this way we keep the good old habit of: building KDE is as simple
as "build+install kdelibs, then compile any other KDE code you want".
Everyone is used to that, and if we change to "build+install three modules", anyone
who is not reading this discussion will be completely lost as to how to build KDE.
The idea is that release this code as three tarballs though,
kdelibs-components (*)
kdelibs-framework
kdelibs-kde3support
(and kdelibs-workspace IMHO, for workspace libs; libs for kicker applets, screensavers etc.)

So what's in SVN as kdelibs/components, kdelibs/framework, kdelibs/kde3support and kdelibs/workspace
would be packaged as the above 4 tarballs (same for binary packages).
Keeping kdelibs in the name makes it easy for everyone to
understand that this is where the KDE libraries come from.

I would even suggest kdebase/workspace and kdebase/apps too, for the same reasons.
Smooth migration...