[RFC] "Documents Folder" icon in "system:/"

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Aug 19 07:39:53 BST 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 10:30 am, Gábor Lehel wrote:

> I may just be a control freak, but I like to
> have a seperate directory where my stuff, and _only_ my stuff resides,
> that I can do whatever I want with, without having to worry about
> unintended consequences. (It also has the advantage that I can create
> hidden files of my own, without having them all jumbled up with the
> rest in ~).

Everyone is different. ersonally I have several separate directores
under $HOME where I keep my stuff. it includes "development",
"documents", "misc", "music, "pictures" and "projects". I could put
these all under a generic "Files" directory, but why? Why have a
separate directory level just to have a separate directory level?

I have a sneaky suspicion that no matter what we choose as the wise and
benevolent default, *everyone* will end up changing it to match their
own working style.

> Personally, I prefer the latter. Fewer ambiguities for one thing, and
> it doesn't rely on an implicit agreement on the part of every single
> application to put a . on the beginning of their files, and to hide
> files with a . on the beginning. Getting 99% of applications to obey
> this is possible (evidenced by it being reality), but getting 100%
> would be at the very least hard, and until then the 1% will be
> causing significant annoyance.

That extra 1% above includes stuff like GIMP, OpenOffice, Firefox, just
to name three big ones that most people will have. What good will it do
to hide the existance of $HOME from the user, when all of their main
documents are going to be there anyway because their favorite program
puts them there?

--
David Johnson