[RFC] "Documents Folder" icon in "system:/"

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Aug 19 04:00:21 BST 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 10:06 am, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> >>Yes, but ... (tm) it is newbies that defaults should be designed for
> >>since they will not start changing defaults as soon as they first
> >>login. When they are no longer newbies, they can change settings to
> >>suit their needs.
> >
> > It is this philosophy which I have a problem with. Why must the
> > newbie be catered to? Why does the desktop design have to revolve
> > around them?
>
> I thought that what I said was almost a tautology.

I think that's my problem right there. I don't view it as a tautology,
but some arbitrary decision that Windows newbies are more important and
deserving than everyone else.

Go buy a bicycle. Are if you don't have enough money, simply go down to
the bicycle shop and examine a bicycle for sale. Does it have training
wheels? No! Those are sold separately. The default bicycle does not
have training wheels.

I don't want KDE to be a tricycle.

> [Even snipped it out. :-|]

Which is because I didn't have a Mac handy to verify the exact behavior.

--
David Johnson