[RFC] "Documents Folder" icon in "system:/"

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:30:43 BST 2005

Side comment: It's unfortunate how the people in the easiest position
to choose Linux over Windows, those who haven't used computers before
-- they don't have any investment in another OS, and thus zero cost of
"migration" -- are also quite unlikely to do so, as they naturally
have very little knowledge of computers, most probably don't even know
the concept of an operating system, so they just go down to the local
store for a computer, which comes with, you guessed it... Windows.
Those that know about Linux are already committed and don't want to
switch, and the rest don't know about Linux...

Anyways, I'll just weigh in with my opinion merely as a user (as some
have expressed doubt over whether such people exist), that I highly
appreciate the option as currently exists to specify a documents path
other than the default. I may just be a control freak, but I like to
have a seperate directory where my stuff, and _only_ my stuff resides,
that I can do whatever I want with, without having to worry about
unintended consequences. (It also has the advantage that I can create
hidden files of my own, without having them all jumbled up with the
rest in ~).

So, if I understand the proposals correctly...

Status quo:
- user (documents path) and system files (the distinction here being
not who has permissions to them, but who put them there) both in
/home/username; system files start with a "." and are thereby hidden
in most applications.
- correct location for things that are sort of both (placed there and
managed by an application by default, but the user may want to manage
them directly as well -- such as mail, desktop, and autostart)
unclear. hide them and have special systems/applications to access
them? or just show them and risk confusion? (currently, it's a mix)

New proposal:
- user files (documents path) set to a subdirectory of /home/username
(Files, Documents, semantics), open/save dialogs open here (konqueror
also?). clean slate; applications put _nothing_ in here by themselves.
- /home/username itself contains application-managed files; stuff that
the user would legimitately want to manage themselves (aforementioned
Mail, Autostart, Desktop, maybe others) unhidden, rest hidden (or
split out into a seperate visible Settings directory, but pulling that
off would require a social engineering feat of such proportions we'll
sooner have unified package management, so there's not much practical
point to considering it). if the user tries to delete something from
here (eg, an entire toplevel directory, not necessarily the contents),
they will be very sternly warned that it is a Bad Idea, if not
prevented from doing so outright.
So it might look like:
$ ls -A /home/username
Files/
Desktop/
Mail/
Autostart/
.this
.that
.and_the_other

Personally, I prefer the latter. Fewer ambiguities for one thing, and
it doesn't rely on an implicit agreement on the part of every single
application to put a . on the beginning of their files, and to hide
files with a . on the beginning. Getting 99% of applications to obey
this is possible (evidenced by it being reality), but getting 100%
would be at the very least hard, and until then the 1% will be causing
significant annoyance. (What Friedrich mentions is also a (somewhat
smaller) factor, namely that it can be disorienting when you enable
"show hidden files" and everything becomes a complete mess of your
files, not your files, hidden files, visible files... Konqueror here
is smart enough to sort them seperately, but other applications may
not be.)