KMenu @ aKademy

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Aug 13 22:07:19 BST 2005

On Friday 12 August 2005 08:00 am, seele at obso1337.org wrote:

> - User's needs and wants
>   * Easy access to frequently used applications and documents
>   * Protection from information overload
>   * Easily maintained, protection from getting too big and out
>     of control
>   * A way to explore and learn, but not be overwhelmed
>   * Something that adapts to their habits and usage patterns

You missed one. It isn't surprising though, since many WinXP users don't
even know it exists. But that doesn't mean it isn't important:

* Items and locations that remain fixed

To many people, myself included, menus that constantly change are very
annoying. Moving items about or hiding them is not necessarily a good
thing, even if Bill Gates says otherwise. My eyes and mousing hand
"learn" where the items are, so when they move or disappear, it slows
me down considerably.

In the rush to implement pervasive adaptability, pause to remember that
the one of the biggest factors in usability is "familiarity". Can you
imagine trying to get to work every morning when each night the road
crews come out and move all the streets around?

--
David Johnson