Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Fri Aug 12 00:16:57 BST 2005

On Friday 12 August 2005 00:00, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Thursday, 11. August 2005 22:27, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> >
> > So were is the new developer for for examples man:, ftp:, fish: (the list
> > is far from being exhaustive).
>
> Again, you're citing software that's already within KDE (and you're

As far as I understand the plan is to throw out any program or library that is
unmaintained or (too) little maintained. So perhaps those examples are
currently inside KDE, but they are part of stuff that is "free to hunt".

> implying that it's not getting enough attention) for making the point that
> software in KDE has a better chance of being maintained because the
> developers don't have to care about making releases. This doesn't make
> sense. Fish:/ started out as a third party application btw.

Well the extragear examples that were given (K3b, Amarok) are perhaps nice
applications, but who is going to maintain all "un-sexy" code that lies in
KDE, especially if thrown out.

I really do not think that throwning out things out of KDE is going to improve
the situation. Writing documentation is nearly the same whatever the
application is difficult to code or not, for developing it is not the case.

(Note: I am not against reducing the size of the average KDE module,
especially that SVN doubled the size on disk compared to CVS. However I would
see it more as reorganizing the KDE modules than to throw half of them to
extragear.)

> > Assuming you want to kick out KFloppy for example, it means that the poor
> > new developer who would take the work on KFloppy would not only became a
> > developer and the new maintainer but would also need to be the release
> > manager of KFloppy.
>
> Yes.

> > So the probability is clearly near 0.
>
> I have no idea how you're arriving at that conclusion. FWIW, would you be
> sad to see kfloppy go and never come back?

That is my experience, including from KOffice.

You call for volunteers. If you are lucky, you get one guy and when you
explain what has to be done, he "flees" (i.e. you do not hear from him again).

As for KFloppy, yes, I would be sad, as it would mean that all my efforts to
make it again useful, since KDE 3.3, were wasted (and that at a moment when
they was a slightly chance of improvement).

Have a nice day!