[RFC] "Documents Folder" icon in "system:/"

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 11 22:26:22 BST 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 07:59, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> Which of these do you not understand?

wow. imagine if i had said that to you, james. how would you have responded?
what would you think of me, and what would you then go and tell others about
me?

now to answer the question, what i don't understand is how you keep missing
that what i am saying is:

$HOME is not the equivalent of "\user name". UNIX is not Windows, and we tend
to do a few things a little bit differently. $HOME _is_ "My Documents". is
that clear enough for you?

> Perhaps there is a language barrier here. :-D

no, just a lack of respect.

> It has nothing to do with the user interacting with it.  The application
> is installed with a prefix of: $HOME/cxoffice.  So that is where the
> directory is -- just the same as if you had built the app from source
> with that prefix.

this is not the common case. this is, actually, uncommon. most $HOMEs out
there don't have binaries installed to them. so instead of enforcing a
$HOME/files on _everyone_, why not provide for a $HOME/bin when and if you
install programs in your home directory. that way we're effecting fewer
people and providing a more sensible default: your home is where you keep
your data.

> > we fixed kmail in 3.4. that took a lot of effort and discussion, but
> > it got done. so it can happen.
>
> I'm not sure that that was correct or necessary.  Mozilla stuff hides
> the Mail directory, but there are times when the user might want to find
> it -- for backup for example.

yes, and i've covered this issue more than once. when you do backups, backup
your $HOME. if you wish to do fine grained backup, you'll want a tool for
this. we currently lack that tool. and because of that people have challenges
with backing up all sorts of information. this is not unique to Mail, nor
should people need to know that Mail is their email. in fact not all people
do and have in the past deleted all their email because they didn't know what
it was. amazing yet true.

--
Aaron J. Seigo