[RFC] "Documents Folder" icon in "system:/"

Gary Greene greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Fri Aug 12 03:11:33 BST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 05:26 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 August 2005 07:59, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Which of these do you not understand?
[snip]

> $HOME is not the equivalent of "\user name". UNIX is not Windows, and we
> tend to do a few things a little bit differently. $HOME _is_ "My
> Documents". is that clear enough for you?

This is a fundamental difference in your view Aaron, and many others I know
(including myself...) IMO, $HOME _is_ as James has stated: it is the user
profile, which includes user data and user configuration data. Both are
exclusive in my eyes.

> > It has nothing to do with the user interacting with it.  The application
> > is installed with a prefix of: $HOME/cxoffice.  So that is where the
> > directory is -- just the same as if you had built the app from source
> > with that prefix.
>
> this is not the common case. this is, actually, uncommon. most $HOMEs out
> there don't have binaries installed to them. so instead of enforcing a
> $HOME/files on _everyone_, why not provide for a $HOME/bin when and if you
> install programs in your home directory. that way we're effecting fewer
> people and providing a more sensible default: your home is where you keep
> your data.

I beg to differ here, there are a NUMBER of users I know that do just as James
has stated. They install programs in $HOME. Additionally, I prefer ~/Mail
over hiding it in the $KDEHOME directory somewhere....

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel.tolharadys.net

Developer and Project Lead for PhoeNUX OS.
 check out http://www.phoenuxos.com/ for more info.
EMAIL : greeneg at phoenuxos.com