A new KColorCombo fro KDE 4?

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Wed Aug 10 22:55:47 BST 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 22:35, Sébastien Laoût wrote:
> > Can you make a Gimp palette out of your colours, so that it can be added
> > as new palette in the normal colour dialog.
>
> I don't see the interest, because the KColorDialog don't have enought
> displayed columns, or the amount of columns is not always constant, so
> instead of a rainbow we will see... hum somthing that "ressemble" a
> rainbow.

Yes, but the "Royal" colours do also not quite fit the dialog but they are in.

I really think that it would be useful for the user to have a palette with the
same colours in the dialog than in the combobox. (For example, he can then
modify a colour from here.)

> But I can do it if you want.

> I just wonder to know how to do it :)

Gimp Palettes are text files (see for example kdelibs/kdecore/Royal.colors ).
So if the code generates RGB values, it can probably re-used to generate a
palette.

> > We are beyond feature freeze. So if you replace the class in KDE 3.5, be
> > careful to check the applications that have been changed.
>
> Oh no, I wasn't wanting to replace the class.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you.

(...)
> > > * Is it necessary to include the old KComboBox colors preset or was it
> > > here just because a default preset was needed?
> >
> > From what I see by a quick look into the code, the default colours are
> > the standard colours. So I suppose that they are needed, for tasks like
> > Web pages where you want to be sure to use standard colours.
>
> Web pages sometimes are limited to the "256 web colors" (or perapse less, I
> don't remember the exact number).
> Those 17 colors are somewhat restrictives, even for a web page.
> But if it's needed, I will add a function for that.

Perhaps you are right. There should be better such a palette in the dialog box
instead.

> > Personally I have never found the names useful and they are a
> > translator's nighmare. (But the named colours in the normal colour dialog
> > box are a translators' nighmare too (and the two groups of names are
> > different!))
>
> The two groups of names are different?

Yes! Two developers, two codes... ;-)

> Why aren't them from the same source.

Well, they are kind of coming from the same source: the rgb.txt file. But
kdelibs chose the lower case names without space, while KWord chose the
(normal case) names with space!

(Personally I would like to have the normal names with space in KDE4, as they
look more natural to normal users, but that is another problem.)

> And now as you say it... my french version of KDE translate only the half
> of the colors. Don't know for KWord (have an english version).

That does not surprise me, as it is the French team who has complained the
most about them. At least, they have tried to translate them. ;-)

Have a nice day!