A new KColorCombo fro KDE 4?

Sébastien Laoût slaout at linux62.org
Wed Aug 10 21:35:27 BST 2005

> Can you make a Gimp palette out of your colours, so that it can be added as
> new palette in the normal colour dialog.

I don't see the interest, because the KColorDialog don't have enought
displayed columns, or the amount of columns is not always constant, so
instead of a rainbow we will see... hum somthing that "ressemble" a rainbow.

But I can do it if you want.
I just wonder to know how to do it :)

> We are beyond feature freeze. So if you replace the class in KDE 3.5, be
> careful to check the applications that have been changed.

Oh no, I wasn't wanting to replace the class.
I was wanting to put it together with the old KColorCombo in KDE 3.5 and only
replace it in KDE 4 (since KColorCombo allow to set a list of colors, not an
array, it's not fully compatible).
Since KDE 4 is one year away, new KDE apps would target KDE 3.5, so it could
be good for them to have a new colorCombo, and it could even help to define
other needs to have a polished API for KDE4.

> > * Is it necessary to include the old KComboBox colors preset or was it
> > here just because a default preset was needed?
>
> From what I see by a quick look into the code, the default colours are the
> standard colours. So I suppose that they are needed, for tasks like Web
> pages where you want to be sure to use standard colours.

Web pages sometimes are limited to the "256 web colors" (or perapse less, I
don't remember the exact number).
Those 17 colors are somewhat restrictives, even for a web page.
But if it's needed, I will add a function for that.

> Personally I have never found the names useful and they are a translator's
> nighmare. (But the named colours in the normal colour dialog box are a
> translators' nighmare too (and the two groups of names are different!))

The two groups of names are different?
Why aren't them from the same source.
And now as you say it... my french version of KDE translate only the half of
the colors. Don't know for KWord (have an english version).

Best regards,
Sébastien Laoût.