Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Wed Aug 10 22:44:03 BST 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 21:23, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> Well, alternatively you could just learn how to type "make dist" or whatever
> it takes :) It's not rocket science and with a little good will and being a
> little less stubborn human beings can learn an amazing lot of things. Or you
> could ask someone to do it for you. That's not different from the current
> situation, only that you currently don't need to ask since the poor chap
> called "Release Dude" does it for you.
Hmm, I don't think that will work out. Even atm it is hard enough for the "Release Dude" to create
packages of the different kde modules, I don't think it will be a good idea to in the end force him to
create bunchs of small packages of apps having all their own configure/makefile trash, as MANY
people will ask to have this done. Atm the whole stuff works because

a) we have somebody keeping eye on buildsystem, as people like me tend to break even their own Makefile.am's
b) release dude's who do a amazing job

I really not get this all, just to make splitting of the packages easier for the distros force massive new workload
on the developers? I really miss the point here.

(And btw., "make dist" implies that there is actually a working autoconf/automake/whatever setup for the app, who will
maintain this? the app devs on their own? coolo because he has just enough time to do so for any apps out there?
me who breaks even the most simple *.am files?)

cu
Christoph

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, kde.org Maintainance Team
http://www.babylon2k.de, cullmann at kde.org