Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Aug 10 19:51:09 BST 2005

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 20:49, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9. August 2005 20:18, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > But there are 2 items which might be a completely unknown area for
> > a maintainer/simple developer.
>
> I would really hope they are not, especially if that developer wants
> to make his development work available to the public.

 I know how to do it (at least I think I know), but there are lots of
developers who don't. They are just C++ coders. Some don't even know
how to write configure checks or Makefile.am's as we have KDevelop
generating Makefiles and you can use the templates to start a new
application.
 And there are other issues as well, like having a non-customized
environment when you create a package, otherwise you can end up with
code that works for you, but doesn't work for anyone else. If the
application is in a main KDE module, this is not a problem, as (I
believe) the packaging is done on a machine which is not heavily
customized regarding the installed libraries and where it is guaranteed
that the KDE base libraries (and parts) and their requirements are of
the last stable version.

Andras