[RFC] "Documents Folder" icon in "system:/"

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Aug 9 05:07:45 BST 2005

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 01 August 2005 10:45, Kévin Ottens wrote:
>
>>Don't forget that the home folder is still the place where are your
>>personal files! It must be more obvious that it's related to _documents_
>>IMHO.
>

> this is really one of those things we ought to examine closely in kde4:
>
> 	how do divide up the user's home directory?
>
> i personally believe that a separate Documents directory makes very little
> sense. we need to keep it in KDE3, but KDE4 gives us the opportunity to
> re-examine this. i've got in on my aKademy2005 discussion list.

If I understand correctly (I don't have Windows except for 3.x), the
current Windows install is something like WINE:

     Drive C
         My Documents
             My Music
             My Pictures
             My Video

and it also have "My Downloads" somewhere.  IMHO, the "My " is stupid
and we should not even consider using it. :-)  But, in general, the
concept has merit.  Others have stated in another thread that the term
"Documents" causes confusion for some users.  It isn't confusing to me,
but it isn't a good choice of words since I have:

     HOME
         Files
             Documents
             Music
             Photos
             Video
             <ETC.>

Clearly the meaning of the word 'Documents" is not the same in these two
arrangements.  And that is *the* issue.  What is meant by "Documents".
Does it mean all files with information or only those files that contain
words, numbers, and other symbols?

--
JRT