Spell Checking in KDE4 (KSpell2)

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Sun Apr 24 17:18:26 BST 2005

On Saturday 23 April 2005 13:57, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> Hi Zack,
>
> I would be open to working with you and the KDE folks on Enchant. It
> would be great if both KDE and GNOME shared a common spell-checking
> solution. It would also be great to have your input on Enchant's
> interfaces since, to-date, Enchant has been tailored to AbiWord's and
> GNOME's use cases.

That's great to hear :)

> As I've said before, removing the Glib dependency would be fine with
> me - using it was a pragmatic decision in order to get the project
> off the ground. I'm willing to chip in with the work to make this
> happen. However, I'm not willing to do this without some assurance
> that the KDE project will actually use Enchant in the near future.
> Enchant "just works" now, and I'm not looking forward to shuffling
> working code around without a carrot luring me.

Yes, of course :) From my perspective I'd love give myself more time to
play with some other linguistic classes rather than spend too much time
maintaining a spell checker. So having something that is well designed,
works and is maintained by someone else would be a wonderful solution
for me. Which is why using Enchant is very appealing, especially now
that you've mentioned you'd be open to some api suggestions :)

Zack

--
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.