Spell Checking in KDE4 (KSpell2)

heiko.evermann at gmx.de heiko.evermann at gmx.de
Sun Apr 24 08:35:58 BST 2005

Hi Dom, hi Zack
> Hi Zack,
>
> I would be open to working with you and the KDE folks on Enchant. It would
> be great if both KDE and GNOME shared a common spell-checking solution. It
> would also be great to have your input on Enchant's interfaces since,
> to-date, Enchant has been tailored to AbiWord's and GNOME's use cases.
>
> As I've said before, removing the Glib dependency would be fine with me -
> using it was a pragmatic decision in order to get the project off the
> ground. I'm willing to chip in with the work to make this happen. However,
> I'm not willing to do this without some assurance that the KDE project will
> actually use Enchant in the near future. Enchant "just works" now, and I'm
> not looking forward to shuffling working code around without a carrot
> luring me.
>
> And, for what it's worth, Enchant has an ispell-compatible command-line
> interface. I don't know if you can just plug it into KSpell, but it might
> be worth looking into.
I have had a short look at Enchant. It seems to say that it can be used as a
front end for several engines. Does that mean that we would only have KSpell
for Enchant and Enchant does the rest? Or does that mean that KSpell2 would
have at least 3 plugins: ispell, aspell, Enchant + those 2 spell checkers for
Hebrew that have been under discussion?

One other thing: compile dependencies: KSpell2 seems to have problems that
KSpell does not have. Could you give some more details?

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann