[RFC] KUnitTest library

Matthias Hölzer-Klüpfel mhk at kde.org
Fri Apr 8 18:12:48 BST 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 14:10, Zack Rusin wrote:

> I thought about QObject's introspection but at the end decided that I'd
> prefer if the core of the lib didn't depend on anything. Furthermore
> one of my biggest pet peeves is having to keep header/source in sync. I
> thought about creating a helper executer who would first parse straight
> cpp source files and create headers from them, then compile it all into
> an object (assuming the modification on the cpp is newer than the
> compiled object). But I was afraid that the execution time would be too
> slow, especially with parsing of the cpp files.

Do you know http://cxxtest.sourceforge.net? It is a quite minimalistic unit
testing framework that:

* Doesn't require RTTI
* Doesn't require member template functions
* Doesn't require exception handling
* Doesn't require any external libraries

It does it's magic with the help of a little perl script that extracts the
test methods from the source, so have exactly one place where you define your
tests.

I have to admit that I never used kunittest, but compared to the other unit
test frameworks I came across, this is definitely the most unobstrusive and
usefull one (see als
http://www.gamesfromwithin.com/articles/0412/000061.html). Even has a Qt-Gui.
Maybe you can borrow some ideas :)

Bye,