[RFC] KUnitTest library

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at sourcextreme.com
Fri Apr 8 14:14:03 BST 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 08:10 am, Zack Rusin wrote:
> I'm surprised that geiseri hasn't yet commented on this thread. We
> talked quite a bit about unit testing and validation testing.
Yeah, Jason is out of town this week, and I have been pretty busy.  I will
talk to him about getting the eXperior in a state where we can have OSS
involvement.  Currently its a tool for our class, but the automated
generation of the header and temp files is in the queue.

One point about the shared library, and tests as plugins.  These are a
liability over time, and complicate the build system.  One of the nice things
about the current kunittest is its trivial and easy to integrate into pretty
much any build system on any platform.  Once you start doing silly things
like shared libs, plugins, headers etc you ruin that and take your place with
the 30 bizzillion other unit test frameworks that have been unleashed on the
world to annoy developers and make test driven development much harder than
it should be ;)

The kunittest that is in cvs currently builds with Qt, without Qt, on Win32,
on Linux, on OSX, on palmos...  Anything more is bloat.

That said, KDE having a unit test framework is better than nothing, and since
our project currently lacks community involvement it may not be right for
KDE.  If people are interested let us know at oss at sourcextreme.com, otherwise
well release it as it matures and we can go from there.  I will work on
getting the current user stories published so that we can have more community
involvement for those who are interested.

Cheers
 -ian reinhart geiser