Website migration to SVN

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Sun Apr 3 21:54:46 BST 2005

Hi!

This is a detailed description how to move the web site modules to the new
positions in the SVN repository without breaking the subdomains and
mirrors. If the people doing the move have already worked out everything
fine, then please ignore this post.

We already discussed that we want to move the website content into more
logical positions in SVN; and that it would be easier to use do most
moves in SVN. We also discussed that we can use a SVN->CVS script for the
first days (or weeks) until all web servers are updated. This also allows
us to keep the web mirrors active until we have documented all needed
changes and contacted the mirror admins.

This means that in the first step of the migration to SVN, we only have
the following moves:

CVS -> SVN:
  www -> web/www
  www/media -> web/media
  www/docbook -> web/docbook
  www/areas -> web/sites
  bugs -> web/sites/bugs
  developer.kde.org -> web/sites/developer

At a later point we can move all application sites to web/sites/* and all
localised sites to web/international/*, so that we get the following
subdirectories of "web":

  www - main kde.org site
  sites/* - application and subproject sites
  international/* - localised subdomains
  media - media directory for all KDE sites
  docbook - docbook directory (what's the purpose of it?)

The migration of the web servers to SVN can be made with the following
steps:

1. Move the content into the new SVN locations and create a symlinks from
the old locations to the new, so that the webserver is still updating
correctly via the CVS gateway
2. Change the webserver to update directly from SVN
(and creating new subdomains for guidelines.kde.org, sysadmin.kde.org,
il.kde.org, multimedia.kde.org and games.kde.org)
3. Add redirects for the outdated URLs to web/media/404.php, for example:
http://(www.)kde.org/apps/cervisia/* -> http://cervisia.kde.org/*
http://(www.)kde.org/areas/multimedia/* -> http://multimedia.kde.org/*
4. Remove the symlinks

This will cause slightly more work then leaving everything in the old
repository positions, but the current structure in the www CVS module is
really chaotic in some places, and it is difficult to get a clean
checkout of only the main kde.org site without checking out huge amounts
of data from subdomains and translated sites.

The moves within SVN will be:

web/apps/cervisia -> web/sites/cervisia (new subdomain cervisia.kde.org)
web/apps/kate -> web/sites/kate
web/apps/konqueror -> web/sites/konqueror
web/apps/konsole -> web/sites/konsole
web/apps/kontact -> web/sites/kontact
web/apps/kooka -> web/sites/kooka
web/apps/noatun -> web/sites/noatun
web/www/kdegames -> web/sites/games (new subdomain games.kde.org)

web/www/es -> web/international/spain
web/www/fr -> web/international/france
web/www/il -> web/international/israel (new subdomain il.kde.org)
web/www/international/britain -> web/international/britain
web/www/international/czechia -> web/international/czechia
web/www/international/germany -> web/international/germany
web/www/international/ireland -> web/international/ireland
web/www/international/italy -> web/international/italy
web/www/international/netherlands -> web/international/netherlands

www/standards, www/apps/kafka and www/apps/ksvg can propably be removed
www/people could be ported to the new layout, or removed, or left as it is
www/kdeslides could be moved to somewhere in promo.kde.org

I am unsure about the purpose of www/dot.

As a side effect of the move, the subdomain ev.kde.org must reflect the
content of the current KDE e.V. site in CVS/SVN until it is relaunched
with the new content.

I hope I forgot nothing and that my description was helpful rather than
confusing.

Olaf

--
KDE Accessibility Project