Migrating Qt Cryptographic Architecture to KDE CVS

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Thu Sep 30 16:25:48 BST 2004

Jason Keirstead wrote:
>Personally, I think there is something wrong with the way kdelibs is
>tructured. The KDE network classes (and there a lot of them now) shouldn't
> be in kdecore at all. Many KDE apps have no need network connectivity at
> all and this is just extra baggage. There should be a seperate kdenetwork
> library that depends on kdecore, and kio can depend on kdenetwork. The
> SSL stuff can go in here.

All KDE applications require network connectivity of one level or another.
Think of DCOP, for instance. I agree with you that the classes are in the
wrong place: they should be in Qt or even lower.

The result of that is that neither libDCOP nor aRts can use those classes.

>Even if you did this though. that would still mean that kdenetwork would
> need kdeui for the certificate dialogs. No idea how to resolve this
> dependancy.

SSL classes: libqca
network classes: libkdecore
certificate management and UI: libkio

KSecureSocket could go in either of the latter two.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info