KDElibs: KSystemTray: On window close dialog

Richard Smith kde at metafoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 15:50:53 BST 2004

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 12:06 am, Sébastien Laoût [temporar] wrote:
> - Some things I can't do (XComposite stuff, not urgent) is in comments

I think the XComposite stuff, or something like it[1], is actually essential.

Imagine the confusion a new KDE user would feel if, for whatever reason, their
system tray was obscured[2], and try tried to close an application, only to
be:

1) told that the application wasn't closed,
2) told something about the system tray, which they may have never heard of
before, and
3) shown a picture of some random portion of some window they have open, with
a red circle on it.

If I saw Gnome do something as embarrassing as that, I'd laugh. But since the
suggestion is to add it to KDE, I think I might cry. My opinion: a live
screenshot should only be used if we can guarantee it actually shows the tray
icon of the application in question.

Thanks,
Richard

[1] Such as raising/un-hiding the systray-containing window, or asking KWin if
the appropriate section of that window is visible
[2] Yes, I know, Kicker is usually set always-on-top by default. But I
installed KDE on a friend's computer once, and the first thing I was asked
was, "how can I stop that thing from being in front of my stuff?". Also, who
said KDE application users have to use Kicker?