[MAJOR BUG] g++ 2.95.x generates invalid code for KDE 3.3.0

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Sep 19 20:56:31 BST 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 16:06, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 19. September 2004 15:28 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> > Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > >And I SERIOUSLY recommend that for KDE 4, gcc 2.95 is no longer
> > > supported.
> >
> > In light of Adrian's email, I rephrase myself: g++ 2.95 no longer
> > supported, while on Linux strongly discouraged.
>
> Why discouraged? This is the very first gross bug that I've ever
> encountered with 2.95. No need to crap it therefore. (And I would
> have noticed this bug before the release had I compiled *all*
> packages for the betas/rcs.)
>
> I'm willing to stay the gcc-2.95 compliance police as long as I'm
> using gcc-2.95 (as I've already done for the 3.2 and 3.3 releases). I
> just have to do more thorough testing of the betas/rcs.

I don't think it's sufficient to have one developer check whether KDE
still works with gcc-2.95. Actually, the current situation has already
proven this point. KDE 3.3.0 doesn't work with gcc-2.95. That's a fact.
How do you propose we prevent this in the future without having a team
(consisting of more than just you) which assures gcc-2.95
compatibility?

We, the KDE PIM developers, have decided to drop KDE 3.2 compatibility
(KDE PIM is now developed against KDE 3.3) because nobody of us wanted
to stay with KDE 3.2 now that KDE 3.3 is out. Nobody of us using KDE
3.2 would have made it impossible to guarantee that KDE PIM still works
(or even compiles) with KDE 3.2. So dropping KDE 3.2 compatibility was
the sensible conclusion.

Regards,
Ingo