widget style cleanup

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Sep 13 17:20:11 BST 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 16.46, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> * Andrew Coles <andrew_coles at yahoo.co.uk> [Sep 13. 2004 16:37]:
> > On Monday 13 Sep 2004 15:10, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > Does it take into account color and
> > > window manager theme?  Will kde apps simply have a screenshot directory
> > > with a script and example files that will generated the screenshots
> > > when you install the docs?
> >
> > I think the holy grail would be to ditch hard-wired screenshots
> > altogether and have the dialog images in the documentation rendered
> > on-the-fly, using the user's current widget settings, as they browsed the
> > documentation.  That would get around the whole issue of consistency,
> > language and having to re-take screenshots for different themes.  Also,
> > with a nod towards Accesibility, it would still allow the documentation
> > to be used by people who need large fonts/high-constrast colour schemes
> > etc..

Well, that'd be neat for inside khelpcenter, but we still need static ones for
web pages, and many other uses.  I don't know if it would work for those
where the text refers to actual (type in) content in the screenshot either.
By all means, if you can do this, we'd like to see it.

> I think that we should define a default theme (win-deco, style, colors,
> icons) for standard screenshots, and also define a theme for
> low-contrast, etc.

We always have (although, not a low-contrast version)

> No one should be able to mess up the screenshots with their own ideas
> about what looks nice :-)

Indeed.  I'm not too in love with the look of them now, but

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org