File drop popup menu removal

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Tue Sep 7 20:46:26 BST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 20:47, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 September 2004 20:38, David Faure wrote:
> > Yes, that might be a good idea. See attached patch.
> > It makes the popupmenu feel a bit more heavyweight though.
> > What do people think about it? I'm not sure whether to commit it or not.
>
> So the menu looks like
>
> Move here      Shift
> Copy here      Ctrl
> Link here      Ctrl+Shift
> Cancel         Esc
>
> Maybe it's nitpicking, but pressing shift alone won't move anything ;-)
> When do I actually have to press shift ? When pressing or when releasing ?
> (I never tried it, the drop menu is so obvious ;-)

I agree. I do not think it is obvious that those keys are something you can
use in the future and not something you have to press now. I imagine a user,
first surprised to see the popup, then going "Ohh, I need to press Ctrl to
make a copy", but pressing Ctrl turns out to have no immediate effect.

I would instead suggest a tool-tip that can be a little more verbose.
"To copy a file without using this popup, hold down the shift key while
dragging the file"

`Allan