kde release changelog idea

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Thu Oct 14 13:11:03 BST 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 06:08, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Thursday 14 October 2004 03:56, Rob Kaper wrote:
> > On Thursday 14 October 2004 1:53am, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > Rather than have maintainers update changelogs, wouldn't it be possible
> > > to have a bugzilla report that showed bugs closed during that minor
> > > release time?  I am able to do this now on the query page (show bugs
> > > fixed between date A and B for all projects), but a much
> > > better/prettier page could probably be made.  It seems almost natural
> > > to take advantage of bugzilla's capabilities to create these reports
> > > for us.
> >
> > Not all entries in the current ChangeLog have a related bug report entry.
> > There should be a way to keep putting those fixes in the ChangeLog. I
> > like the idea of more complete ChangeLogs, but this should work on top of
> > each other if possible.
>
> If we are about to scan the CVS commit messages anyway for bugreport
> numbers, we could scan for a "CHANGELOG:" keyword as well and whenever you
> make a commit with that keyword it could add that commit/comment to the
> changelog automatically. Or maybe just use "BUG:" as I proposed in my other
> message, but without an actual number, to indicate that it is a bug-fix
> that doesn't have an entry in bugzilla.
>
> I guess instead of "CHANGELOG" we should then have "FEATURE:" to mark
> commits that introduce new features, optionally followed by the bugreport
> number(s) of a wishlist item.

I think the use of keywords for this is a very good idea. I am one of those
people that never updates the Changelog file, but religiously use the CCMAIL
keyword feature ; so if something like that is available for adding stuff to
the Changelog I would be more than happy to use it and I suspect many other
developers will do the same as well. Besides as already pointed out this
might also help with the weekly CVS digest articles.

--
Regards,
Dawit A.