kde release changelog idea

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Oct 14 11:08:41 BST 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 03:56, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Thursday 14 October 2004 1:53am, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > Rather than have maintainers update changelogs, wouldn't it be possible
> > to have a bugzilla report that showed bugs closed during that minor
> > release time?  I am able to do this now on the query page (show bugs
> > fixed between date A and B for all projects), but a much better/prettier
> > page could probably be made.  It seems almost natural to take advantage
> > of bugzilla's capabilities to create these reports for us.
>
> Not all entries in the current ChangeLog have a related bug report entry.
> There should be a way to keep putting those fixes in the ChangeLog. I like
> the idea of more complete ChangeLogs, but this should work on top of each
> other if possible.

If we are about to scan the CVS commit messages anyway for bugreport numbers,
we could scan for a "CHANGELOG:" keyword as well and whenever you make a
commit with that keyword it could add that commit/comment to the changelog
automatically. Or maybe just use "BUG:" as I proposed in my other message,
but without an actual number, to indicate that it is a bug-fix that doesn't
have an entry in bugzilla.

I guess instead of "CHANGELOG" we should then have "FEATURE:" to mark commits
that introduce new features, optionally followed by the bugreport number(s)
of a wishlist item.

Cheers,
Waldo
--