New string compare panel applet

Michael Buesch mbuesch at freenet.de
Fri Oct 8 12:44:19 BST 2004

Quoting Frans Englich <frans.englich at telia.com>:
> On Friday 08 October 2004 11:03, Michael Buesch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just wrote a tiny panel applet for easily comparing two strings.
> > The purpose of this applet is to be as easy and featureless as possible.
> > It's only to compare two strings.
> >
> > I wrote this, because I needed such an applet in KDE for ages. For
> > example to quickly compare MD5SUMs.
> >
> > So what about an inclusion of this applet in kdebase/kicker/applets ?
> > If nobody complains, I will commit this.
>
> I also doubts its relevancy for KDE's audience in general.
>
> I find a quote from Apple's HIG almost always insightsfull for feature
> additions in open source projects:

> During the design process, you may discover problems with your product design.
> You can use the 80 percent solution to help determine how to solve those
> problems. The 80 percent solution means your design meets the needs of at
> least 80 percent of your users. If you try to design for the 20 percent of
> your target audience who are power users, your design will not be usable by
> the majority of your users. Even though those 20 percent are likely to have
> good ideas and probably think a lot like you, the majority of people may not
> be like the 20 percent who are elite users of your product. Involving a broad
> range of users in your design process will help you find the best solution
> for 80 percent of your users.

But this feature will be disabled by default.
The users who need this (the 20 percent, if I understood it correctly),
can enable it and the 80 percent don't notice it.

So I agree, that it's not good to include this in kdebase, but
what about kdeaddons/kicker-applets ?

--
Regards Michael Buesch  [ http://www.tuxsoft.de.vu ]