New string compare panel applet

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Fri Oct 8 12:58:18 BST 2004

On Friday 08 October 2004 11:44, Michael Buesch wrote:
> Quoting Frans Englich <frans.englich at telia.com>:
> > On Friday 08 October 2004 11:03, Michael Buesch wrote:

<SNIP>
> > I find a quote from Apple's HIG almost always insightsfull for feature
> > additions in open source projects:

> > During the design process, you may discover problems with your product
> > design. You can use the 80 percent solution to help determine how to
> > solve those problems. The 80 percent solution means your design meets the
> > needs of at least 80 percent of your users. If you try to design for the
> > 20 percent of your target audience who are power users, your design will
> > not be usable by the majority of your users. Even though those 20 percent
> > are likely to have good ideas and probably think a lot like you, the
> > majority of people may not be like the 20 percent who are elite users of
> > your product. Involving a broad range of users in your design process
> > will help you find the best solution for 80 percent of your users.
>
> But this feature will be disabled by default.
> The users who need this (the 20 percent, if I understood it correctly),
> can enable it and the 80 percent don't notice it.
>
> So I agree, that it's not good to include this in kdebase, but
> what about kdeaddons/kicker-applets ?

Much can be said about KDE's package layout, but that would be better. But
this is still a very minor feature. If applets start flowing in in the same
level we'll have really many :) How about implementing this in the minicli?
For example, one could write:

"string" = "string"

and have the boolean test result returned.

Here's some info:
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/view/658

Cheers,

	Frans